Before we jump into the major fields of robotics, we should have a clear idea about the term robotics. It is a diverse field related to construction, engineering, and operation of robots in many commercial industries and consumer fields. Robotics involves the study of a physically constructed technology system and its performance or role in any interface or new technology.
Table of Contents
The fields of robotics
There are five major fields of robotics namely:
- Operator interface – This refers to the Human-Robot Interface that explains how the human and the robot communicate. The robot works based on the commands conducted by the human. The best example of this is a child playing a video game. The joystick here acts as the interface between the human and the machine.
- Locomotion based robots – In this case, robots perform tasks based on locomotion. Here, you will at times find human-like robots using legs for moving. Some flying robots and drones use the propellers for movement. Some may even use wheels depending on the environment they are i.e. air, water or land.
- Component-based robots – In this case, it is the component within the robot that makes it do the specified job. Based on the situation, these human-like robots may use mechanized arms and fingers, claws or pushers to conduct the job. This is especially required in industries that are into heavy lifting and moving of things.
- Ways of delivering a message to the robot - Commands need to be given to the robots with the help of different means. Today there are over one thousand programming languages and each robot interprets the given instructions in their own way. Some robots are even modified so that they are able to adapt to their changing environment.
- Based on how robots to sense and to perceive - This denotes how the machines identify things in and around their environment and react. For example, when a robot comes in contact with an obstacle, what direction should it take. This component is fed into the robot that helps them make the right decision.
Role of machine learning in robotics
Robot learning is a field of research that connects both machine learning and robotics. Machine learning training helps robots deal with dynamic interaction and adapt them to situations where they can avoid obstacles and maintain productivity. Machine learning is often used by computer vision algorithms when it comes to robotics and these applications are normally not referred to as "robot learning".
The future of robotics
This rapid advancement in the robotics sector in India will ultimately affect the job market and become a major cause of unemployment. Due to the huge possibility of robotics in warehousing, the Indian warehouse automation market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 10-12% in the period 2015-2020.
The future of the professionals working in fields like automation is also uncertain, with the new technological development. It will also lead to layoffs and downsizing of the employee strength. Some areas will not be affected immediately, but in the near future, they will be impacted in some way or the other. Robotics is also expected to play a key role in the “Make in India” initiative and attract global manufacturers to invest in the country. Hence, we can see that the future of robotics has both positive and negative impacts.
In order to build a fully functional robot, all these major fields of robotics should be carefully incorporated to ensure maximum effectiveness. Proper incorporation guarantees that the robot would work at an optimum level without any glitches.