In our daily lives, one of the most important questions we struggle with on a regular basis is that if we are successful enough? While most of the time, our answer is negative in contrast to the big dreams we have set for ourselves, we often fail to realize the true essence behind being successful in life.
The great Winston Churchill once famously said, “Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm”. A true stature of human success, Winston Churchill was a man full of passion and failures. But despite all the major setbacks he had in his career, he never let them overcome his passion and zeal for success and as a result, he led Britain to a new era post the war which devastated half the planet.
If you begin to analyze the lives of most successful men, you will be quick to realize that it is not only their zeal to be better which propels their success but also, their EQ or Emotional Quotient. Thus, in this short article, we will talk all about EQ and how you can use the same to propel yourself towards your dreams.
EQ Is the Secret to All Success
In a study published in the year 2000 by researcher Strickland, it was reported that for high performing individual’s EQ is twice as responsible for their motivation, zeal, and morale when compared to their technical skills and IQ.
Fortunately for all of us, there are five foundation pillars of Emotional Quotient that can be learned and fostered within all of us, to lead a happier and more fulfilled life. These were published in research by Daniel Goleman in the year 1995.
- Self-Regulation: One of the most important aspects of the five foundation pillars, developing self-regulation within you will give you the capacity to manage conflicts, take more responsibility and be more accountable for all your actions.
- Self-Awareness: Most of the time we are of the opinion that we understand our own emotions the best, but that is often not the case. We as individuals are biased when it comes to judging our own emotions and thus it leads to conflicts within our minds. The ability to understand our own emotions, analyze them, followed by changing them towards others in times of need is the process of raising self-awareness. While this might look trivial at first, it will go a long way in helping you reach your success faster and in a more efficient manner.
- Empathy: As a child, I remember my parents teaching me how to be empathetic towards others. At a young age, I did not understand the essence of the process, but as I grew in life, I came to realize the huge importance of it in everyone’s life. Empathy can be defined as the ability of an individual to understand another person’s emotions and situations and thus be better able to help and assist them. As the famous saying goes, you reap what you sow and thus how you treat your peers, seniors and juniors will determine how they treat you back in due time.
- Motivation: In order to achieve anything in life, be it small or big, we need to be able to motivate ourselves to act. The best way to motivate yourself regularly and stay on track to reaching your goals is to constantly remind yourself of the bigger picture and then take small steps towards reaching it every day.
- Social Skills: Last but not least is the ability to develop better social skills as individuals. Practicing your social skills on a regular basis will give you the ability to connect with everyone better and help them in their journey of success. As a great man once said, if you want to walk fast, walk alone and if you want to walk far, walk together.
Success is a continuous process of development and thus you always need to remind yourself of the bigger picture and the purpose of your actions. Now that you know what EQ is and how you can develop them in yourself better, go ahead and try them out today.
For more such details, feel free to visit: