With technology holistically running our lives, the world of development is consistently in demand for experts in this field. Full stack developers have the prerequisite skillset for both front- and back-end development of web pages and applications. Companies are constantly on the lookout for talent to ideate, design, build, and launch websites and apps to help businesses garner revenue.
These days, many students and graduates are turning to full-stack development as a career choice because of its lucrative opportunities in the job market. Here is a detailed guide to help you become a full stack developer if you are an enthusiast.
Why are full stack developers in demand?
The world's reliance on technology has created a constant demand for innovative software and dynamic websites. Full stack developers are involved in building advanced websites and applications that cannot be built with just markup language. Some of the main reasons why full stack developers are in demand have been elucidated below:
- Dynamic skill set: A full stack web developer or app developer is an asset to any web development team. They come with adequate technical knowledge and a diverse skillset to work on varied projects. They also have a strong understanding of database technologies as well as client- and server-side development and have experience working with various programming languages.
- Cost efficiency: Hiring a full stack developer with a dynamic skillset is much more cost-effective than hiring an entire team of various specialists. Secondly, it takes significantly lesser money if there is only one individual to train. Thirdly, companies don’t have to invest in additional infrastructure to accommodate different teams.
- Faster development: Being skilled in both front end and back end knowledge, a full stack developer can build applications and websites faster than traditional developers. Full stack developers can also provide a more comprehensive perspective while handling a project and identify problems and areas that have the potential to improve.
- Higher value: Due to their higher responsibility levels in a company, full stack developers are more valuable as an asset. They are tasked with managing every facet of a website or application, from user interface to database.
- Quicker bug fixes: A full stack developer is adept in coding a web application from the beginning to its completion. This enables them to quickly identify bugs and resolve them with immediate effect instead of waiting for a separate developer to fix them.
- Adaptability: Companies have a high demand for full stack developers due to their high adaptability when it comes to working with numerous forms of technology. With their in-depth knowledge, they can switch between back- and front-end operations with ease.
- Management skills: With businesses constantly striving to expand an online presence, they are in need of developers who can manage every facet of website development. Full stack developers can work in many roles in a team. This makes them valuable assets in any company.
6 key steps to building a strong full stack developer resume
Step 1: Learn the basics of web development
Learning the basics of web development and its workings is key to becoming a full-stack developer.
Step 2: Learn HTML and CSS
Being adept in these two languages is key to mastering the front end. Although they are primarily used in scripting static websites, strengthening the basics can help you venture into modern styling methods like Bootstrap, SCSS, Tailwind CSS, and more.
Step 4: Choose an appropriate front-end stack
Step 5: Choose an appropriate back-end stack
The last and most important step is choosing your back-end stack for back-end development. You can start with the Express.js framework and Node.js. Back-end scripting is integral for the smooth functioning of a project and therefore, requires critical thinking skills. PostgreSQL and MongoDB are also popular choices.
The continued demand for full stack developers will create a surge in job opportunities. With their well-rounded skills and ability to work on multiple kinds of projects, companies will always have open job positions for individuals with the required expertise. To carve out a successful career in full stack development, you will need to have in-depth knowledge of data structures and algorithms and also open-source automation systems like Kubernetes.
To kickstart your career as a full stack developer, you can opt for the Full Stack Development programme. Offered by Imarticus, this course is a job-assured programme designed by industry experts aimed to upskill you with a detailed understanding of front- and back-end development.